Friday, May 23, 2008

I Do



Do you remember, my dear? The way the wind whispered cool lullabies on our fair skin. The sun’s radiant song and its ultraviolet tune. The vast landscape begging us to dash headfirst down the hill. I do.

I’ll never forget gazing into the galaxy of your gorgeous green eyes. Or admiring the way your hair danced in the breeze like a jellyfish gently searching the sea. Or the way you meticulously grazed upon your salad as if one lost red-tipped leaf would set the world upside down.

As we marched up the rocky mountainside that afternoon, I was more nervous than an ice cube under a heat lamp. For eons I envisioned how that day would unfold. Step for step. Word for word. Unfortunately I always ended up saying something stupid and making a jester of myself.

Ironically, it wasn’t just in my head. I really was a buffoon. But that’s why I fell in love with you. You get me. You see that the narcissist who’s too bloated to laugh at his own ridiculous behavior will never reach true enlightenment. I’m just glad you can laugh with me.

Do you remember, my dear? Sitting upon our wooden throne, pretending we were erudite emperors protecting our people as they plowed the earth below. Do you remember? Laughing, kissing, dancing, dreaming. We were on top of the world. Literally.

Do you remember, my dear? What you said when I reached out and plucked a diamond star from the sky just for you. I DO.

No comments: